CWAA OCTOBER CHARACTER VALUE: Self-Control
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7 ESV
SEEK AND SERVE MINISTRY: The first Seek and Serve Sabbath is this Sabbath, October 17. Grades 7 – 12 students who are interested and truly committed to serving their Lord through this ministry will meet at the school at 10 a.m. for praise, worship and prayer. Following our worship time, we have potluck lunch and then devote the afternoon to service. This ministry involves community outreach and participation in our local Adventist Churches. The third Sabbath of each month has been designated for this. Thank you for your support and prayers. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mrs. Kelloway at 403-286-5686 or email: email@example.com
STUDENT ASSOCIATION SPIRIT DAY AT CWAA: Wednesday, October 21 is a Spirit Day at school. We encourage all students to participate by dressing up … choose from one of the following themes:
1) Animal or Insects
4) Biblical Characters
STUDENT ATTENDANCE: All students (elementary and secondary) who arrive after 8:30 a.m. must enter the school through the main entrance doors and stop at the office to pick up a late slip to give to their teacher. Students who do not follow this procedure and enter their class without a late slip will have their attendance recorded as ‘Absent Unexcused’, but picking up a late slip from the office will ensure a correction is made on their attendance for the day.
If your child will be absent from school for the day the office must be informed. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the school office. Your child’s attendance will be excused from record keeping done at the office (if you’re e-mailing the teacher please include the office e-mail as well).
CWAA BUS ROUTES: If your child rides on one of the four Bus Routes to CWAA please take time to familiarize yourself with the following important information:
- Your scheduled ‘pick-up time’ is the time when the bus will pull away from the stop. Your child should be at their stop 5 minutes prior to this time. The school bus is not able to wait for students who are late to their stop, as doing this will cause all students riding the bus to arrive late for school.
- Winter weather is just around the corner (bringing with it poor road conditions) so please be sure your children are dressed appropriately for the weather as they wait for the bus to arrive. The website com gives live updates on any bus running over 15 minutes late in the morning. Keep this website handy! There is a late bus line (403-398-6975) that you can call but Southland recommends using the website for faster response. CWAA staff are not provided with information from Southland on bus delays.
- If your child will not be riding the bus during the day or for a longer period of time it is your responsibility to inform Southland Dispatch (403-205-6688) or the bus driver directly.
- Southland Bus Company has their bus routes planned and in place during summer months. Southland determines bus stops according to route safety and congregated community stops (not front door service). Congregated stops are used in order to accomplish the route within contract hours.
- As routes are in place for the remainder of this year please know that if your family moves to a new address at anytime during this school year Southland provides no assurance that bus services will still be available at your new address. Using an existing bus stop that is closest to your location may be your only option.
CWAA IS HIRING SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: If you have a passion to educate children for Jesus and hold a valid teaching certificate please send your resume to Principal Lara Melashenko at email@example.com or fax at 403-247-1623.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES:
Oct 14 Grade 7 Field Trip to Calgary Zoo 9:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
Oct 14 Grades 5/9 Immunizations
Oct 16 Grade 12 Discovery Day in Health Sciences, U of C
Oct 16-18 Junior High Flag Football Tournament, Kelowna, B.C.
Oct 17 CWAA Seek and Serve Sabbath
Oct 19 School Board Meeting, 7pm
Oct 20 Fashions Class Field Trip to Northland Mall
Oct 21 SA Spirit Day
Oct 27 Grade 10 CALM Class Field Trip to U of C
Oct 28 Grade 10 Field Trip to War Memorial / Peace Bridge
Oct 28 Grade 12 Field Trip to Gimbel Eye Surgery
Oct 30 SA Class Challenge Day
Nov 5 K – Grade 5 Field Trip to Royal Tyrrell Museum, Drumheller
Nov 6 End of Term 1 For Secondary Students
Nov 10 Picture Retake Day
Nov 10 Remembrance Day Combined Chapel, Guest Speaker Terry Afflick
Nov 10 Secondary Report Cards sent home
Nov 11 Remembrance Day (No School)
Nov 12 Secondary Parent Teacher Interviews (4-8 p.m.)
Nov 13-15 Grades 7 – 9 FCA Volleyball Tournament, Edmonton
Nov 16-20 Week in Spiritual Emphasis (WISE) Alan Perez
Nov 21 CWAA Seek and Serve Sabbath
Nov 23 Grades 10 – 12 Field Trip to Rosebud Theater
Nov 23-27 Anti-Bullying Awareness Week
Nov 26 K – Grade 6 Skating at Crowfoot Twin Arena
Nov 26 – 29 Senior High Volleyball Tournament / BU Days at Burman University
“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5 NLT).
As we focus on the character value of self-control this month, it is important to remember that without God’s strength and help, our attempts will fall short. It is when we are in a healthy relationship with Jesus that we will bear good fruit. May we take the time today to “Be Still” and allow our relationship with Him to flourish!
Pastor Brent Wilson