The other day I came across an article that caught my attention called, “10 Social Media Apps Parents Should Know About” (www.womensforum.com/10-social-media-apps-parents-should-know-about.html). I would like to share excerpts of the article because of the immense relevance to us as parents and teachers. It is my belief that if we understand what our children are exposed to (and what they spend their time doing on the devices we give them), than we can help them navigate between good and bad technology choices and protect themselves from the inherent dangers of sharing too much information or developing appetites that develop poor character.
“Our parents complained that we were always on the phone. We also complain, but ours comes from a scarier place. Aside from talking (almost never) and texting, phones allow our kids to connect to others all over the country and the world (scary). Phone apps are always changing, advancing and sucking our kids in with their cult-like lore. Our kids are sharing not only personal information to create their profiles, but they are also sharing their thoughts, photos, friends and more.” The article implores parents to speak to their children about dangers of technology and use of limits and monitor usage. Here are the top 10 social media apps that every parent should know about:
- Instagram: allows kids to share photos and comments, collect “likes” and followers.
- Pheed: #1 social media app among teens which combines features of Twitter, Tumblr, SoundCloud, Instagram and more. There is no limit on video or photo size.
- Viddy: Allows users to take 15 seconds or less video’s and either post, text or email the video. The app also allows users to edit video with color, special effects and music. (the Instagram of videos!)
- Kik: A texting app which does not require a phone number so tweens without phones can text friends on MP3 players, iTouches iPods, etc.
- Keek: Video app that allows users to send up to 36 videos to friends, who can comment back with text or video (a “keekback”). Users, referred to by other users as “keeksters,” can also follow or be followed.
- FourSquare: This app lets people “check in” from their location and connect with friends. There are different status levels and points that are “awarded” depending on how many times a particular user visits a place more than others. Users can also follow where other users have been and brands such as popular TV shows.
- Snapchat: This is a video share app that users share quick videos on (mere seconds). The benefit is that a video can only be viewed once and not forwarded.
- Tumblr: This app lets users create a blog to post and share texts, photos, links, music and videos. Blogs can be customized with colors, themes and music. Users can follow and be followed by others.
- You Tube: This one has been around for a while but many parents just think of it as a funny place to see a video—of others. Not true. Users can create channels (accounts) on You Tube that others can view and comment on.
- Pingram: New to the market, this app is a combination of Pinterest (a site to create “pin boards or bulletin boards” of favourite images) and Instagram.
It is our high privilege as parents and teachers to equip our children to be “thinkers, and not mere reflectors of other people” (E. G. White, Education). It is also our privilege to lean on God’s Word to guide our conversations and actions with our children so they can see the heart of God and learn to follow His voice.
May God continue to guide us and equip us as parents and educators!
“WHO DO YOU TELL” K -6 PARENT IN-SERVICE: Please join us on Wednesday, January 28 at 6:30 p.m. to receive information about the “Who Do You Tell” Program at CWAA starting February 19. Come out, learn and ask your questions! The session will be held in Room 24 (previously the Library).
“WHO DO YOU TELL” PARENT CONSENT FORMS: In order for your child to participate in the “Who Do You Tell” program, the Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse (CCASA) require parental consent. Please ensure you send the form back to the school ASAP! (Please see attached Consent Form.)
[button link=”https://cwaa.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Who-Do-You-Tell-Parent-Consent-Forms.pdf” color=”blue” size=”” type=”” shape=”” target=”_blank” title=”” gradient_colors=”|” gradient_hover_colors=”|” accent_color=”” accent_hover_color=”” bevel_color=”” border_width=”1px” shadow=”” icon=”” icon_divider=”yes” icon_position=”left” modal=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ alignment=”left” class=”” id=””]CCASA Parent Consent Form[/button]
NO SCHOOL FOR GRADES K-12 STUDENTS : On Thursday, January 29 & Friday, January 30, 2015. School will resume on Monday, February 2, 2015.
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 28 IS CALGARY FOOD BANK CASUAL DRESS DAY! Let’s see how much food we can collect for this important local charity. Bring your non-perishable food items to the front office! Thank you for your participation!
TERM 2 SECONDARY REPORT CARDS: On Monday, February 2, report cards will be sent home. We look forward to sharing the progress each child has made in this first half of the school year. If you have any questions about your child’s academy progress, please do not hesitate to contact teachers by email, phone or personal appointment.
JUNIOR HIGH PARENT-TEACHERS CONFERENCES: On February 4 from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m., all Grades 7-9 parents are cordially invited to book a time to discuss their child’s mid-year progress with their child’s teachers. To book a time with your child’s teachers, please contact the office at 403-286-5686 or email email@example.com. Thank you for your support and interest in your child’s academic progress!
CWAA ANTI-BULLYING AWARENESS WEEK: February 2-6, CWAA is proud to be participating in an Anti-Bullying Awareness Week. We are participating in this important event because we know our school (just like any other school) is not immune to bullying and we can make a difference through education and awareness! Because bullying is a community issue (and not solely a school problem), we invite all community members (parents, pastors, community partners) to join us! We intend to use this week to build relationships among our students, educate our community (students and parents) about bullying behaviors and how to stop bullying, and engage in acts of compassion! Some of the activities that we will be doing during the week is “Caught You Caring Campaign”! Classroom pairings to build relationships and empathy skills, Anti-Bullying Chapels, Dress Up In Blue Day! (Thursday), and wear ‘Stand Up To Bullying’ bracelets. Parents, join us in prayer as we use this event to continue building a culture of respect and compassion at CWAA! And please take the time to speak with your children about this important topic.
[button link=”https://cwaa.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/What-Adults-Can-Do-About-Bullying.pdf” color=”red” size=”” type=”” shape=”” target=”_blank” title=”” gradient_colors=”|” gradient_hover_colors=”|” accent_color=”” accent_hover_color=”” bevel_color=”” border_width=”1px” shadow=”” icon=”” icon_divider=”yes” icon_position=”left” modal=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ alignment=”left” class=”” id=””]What Adults Can Do About Bullying[/button]
UPCOMING HOT LUNCH: The next two hot lunches will be on Thursday, February 12 (Subway) and Thursday, February 26 (Edo). You may go on-line and order at any time for these upcoming dates at https://www.healthyhunger.ca.
GRADES 5-12 AWARDS ASSEMBLY ON TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 10: All parents are invited to come out and celebrate our academic award recipients (Principal’s List, Honors with Distinction and Honors) and student nominees for Christ-like Character, Citizenship, Personal Best, Most Improved, Athletes of the Term and Perfect Attendance Awards. Our Awards Assembly will take place during our Secondary Chapel time (9:30 – 10:20 a.m.). For those parents who are unable to attend, we will also be conducting an evening Awards Ceremony at the end of the year to recognize all students who achieved academic excellence and other areas of excellence during the 2014-2015 school year.
VALENTINE SPIRIT DAY: Friday, February 13 dress in Valentine colors or wear hearts, etc. Candy gram/flower/special note order forms have been given out to each homeroom teacher. Students have until Tuesday, February 10th to place and pay for their orders.
ELEMENTARY SWIMMING PROGRAM: Begins at the Shouldice Swimming Pool on Tuesday, February 24th. Lessons will be every Tuesday and Thursday for 3 weeks, ending on Thursday, March 12th. Parent volunteers (with a police clearance on file with CWAA) are needed to assist students in the dressing rooms. Please let your child’s teacher know if you’re able to help.
[content_boxes layout=”icon-with-title” columns=”1″ class=”” id=””][content_box title=”SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR” backgroundcolor=”#F3F781″ icon=”fa-book” icon_circle_size=”medium” icon_align=”center” iconcolor=”” circlecolor=”” circlebordercolor=”” iconflip=”” iconrotate=”” iconspin=”no” image=”” image_width=”35″ image_height=”35″ link=”” linktarget=”_self” linktext=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″]Are you ready to enter the Kingdom Of Books!
This is the theme of our book fair this year and it is fast approaching. The book fair will be held the week of February 16-20. We will give you more specific dates and times as we get closer. We are welcoming all kind of help, before, during and after the book fair. We will need help with set-up, decorations, assisting at the book fair, sales and wrap-up and packing up.
We are excited to have this event being part of our school and to earn new books that will garnish and widen our library selections by reaching new goals.
So please join us in any way you wish. Please contact Sonia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 587-351-4951 [/content_box][/content_boxes]
OPEN HOUSE: Coming up! On Thursday, February 19 CWAA will be hosting our annual Open House from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. We invite all current families to bring interested friends and family members to check us out! All CWAA families will be receiving five Open House Invitation Cards to give out to personal friends. Please partner with us in promoting our great school and give those Invitation Cards out! Free door prizes for all families who bring new families! (iPod Shuffle, iTunes certificates, Scholastic Book Fair certificates, Application Fee Vouchers). We look forward to seeing you!
RE-REGISTRATION FOR THE 2015-2016 SCHOOL YEAR: Will begin after our February 19 Open House!
ALBERTA EDUCATION ACCOUNTABILITY PILLAR SURVEY: Alberta Education is seeking your input about the education we are delivering at CWAA. From January to the end of February, they will be conducting their annual “Accountability Pillar Survey” (see attached information). All CWAA parents will receive a survey from Alberta Education in the mail. In February, students and teachers will be completing their surveys online at school. All surveys are anonymous. Your participation in the survey helps provide important information on the quality of education your child is receiving. Survey results will be available to the school in May. Thank you for your participation!
[button link=”https://cwaa.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Invest-in-the-Future-Parent-Letter-2015-signature2.pdf” color=”green” size=”” type=”” shape=”” target=”_blank” title=”” gradient_colors=”|” gradient_hover_colors=”|” accent_color=”” accent_hover_color=”” bevel_color=”” border_width=”1px” shadow=”” icon=”” icon_divider=”yes” icon_position=”left” modal=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ alignment=”left” class=”” id=””]Alberta Education Survey Information[/button]
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES:
- Jan 21-28 Secondary Midterm/Final Exam Week
- Jan 28 End of Secondary Term 2 (Report Cards Feb 4)
- Jan 28 Parent training: Who Do You Tell? Program 6:30 pm
- Jan 29 Flames vs Minnesota Wild Hockey Game 7 pm
- Jan 29-30 Teacher Professional Days / Organizational Days (No School)
- Feb 2 Secondary Term 2 Report Cards Home
- Feb 3-6 Anti-Bullying Emphasis Week
- Feb 4 Jr High Parent Teacher Interviews
- Feb 4 Grade 8 Japan Culture Field Trip 12:15-2:15 pm
- Feb 5 Gr 1-4 Calgary Philharmoic Crchestra Concert (Tuesday Formal Uniform Required) 9 am
- Feb 9 Gr 4-6 Field trip to Telus Science Center 8:30 am – 3:15 pm
- Feb 9-13 Elementary Week of Prayer (Sandra Silva-Deer)
- Feb 10 Grades 5-12 Awards Assembly 9:30 – 10:20 am
- Feb 12 Hot Lunch(Subway)
- Feb 12 Grades 3-6 Phys Ed Field trip “Taste of Spark” 9-11 am
- Feb 13 Valentine Spirit Day
- Feb 16 Alberta Family Day(No School)
- Feb 17-20 Scholastic Book Fair
- Feb 19 Open House 5-8 pm
- Feb 21 Seek and Serve Ministry
- Feb 24 First Elementary Swimming Lesson
- Feb 26 Hot Lunch (Edo)
- Mar 17 CWAA Constituency Meeting 6:30 pm
“The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul.
The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
The commandments of the Lord are right, bringing joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are clear, giving insight for living.
Reverence for the Lord is pure, lasting forever.
The laws of the Lord are true; each one is fair.
They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold.
They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb.
They are a warning to your servant, a great reward for those who obey them.”
(Psalm 19:7-11 NLT)
In what way has God’s word been sweet to you today?
Pastor Brent Wilson