What are your top 10 promises from God? This is an assignment I will be giving my Religious Studies 11 class this week as we continue to study the book of Romans. In Chapter 4 Paul says, “The fulfillment of Gods promise depends entirely on trusting God and His ways, and then simply embracing Him and what He does. Gods promise arrives as pure gift.” (Message Bible) Each of the below precious verses comprise my personal top 10, each having an important part to play in my own spiritual journey over the years.
- I have loved you with an everlasting love. I have bought you with cords of kindness. (Jeremiah 31:3)
- Fear not, for I am with you. I have called you by name. When you walk through the fire I will be there. (Isaiah 43:2)
- Let not your heart be troubled. If you believe in God, believe also in me. For I am going to prepare a place for you. And if I go I will come back to get you so you can be where I am. (John 14:3)
- For my grace is sufficient for you. For my strength is made perfect in your weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
- If we confess our sins He is faithful to forgive us and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
- Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing in you. I am making new paths in the desert and wastelands of your life. (Isaiah 43:18-19)
- Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will mount on wings of eagles, they will soar and not grow weary. (Isaiah 40:31)
- Humble yourself under God’s mighty hand and in due time He will lift you up. Cast all your anxieties on Him for He cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6-7)
- In this world you will have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)
How about you? What are your top 10 promises from God? If you take the time, you’ll be surprised at how quickly these verses come to mind. Bless God today by embracing His promises in your life!
In His Service,
CAUGHT YOU WITH CHARACTER (Kindness): During the month of September we have been emphasizing the character of God – Kindness (1 Corinthians 13:4-7). As a school staff we have been sharing with our students how God’s kindness makes a difference in our lives and we have intentionally ‘caught’ students who have engaged in acts of kindness! We are pleased to report that over 60 acts of kindness were ‘caught’ during the month of September and on the last day of September two student names were drawn to be recognized as those who have shown kindness. We are thrilled to recognize Radi Kazandzhiev (Grade 6 student) and Joshua Koineh (Grade 12 student) for the month of September. To recognize these two students, we have displayed the young men’s pictures along with an introduction and the specific acts of kindness on the bulletin boards in our hallways. During the month of October we will be focusing on the character of God – Self-Control.
ALL ABOUT SELF CONTROL (www.charactercounts.org)
What does Self-Control Look Like? People practicing self-control:
1) Think before they act.
2) Control their temper.
3) Make good choices.
4) Follow through with plans and tasks.
5) Behave, even when no one is looking!
What does Self-Control Sound Like? People practicing self-control make statements like:
1) “I feel angry; I need to calm down.”
2) “I will visit with you after I finish my work.”
3) “I know there is a reason for this rule, so I’m going to follow it.”
4) “I have to finish my chores before I can play on the computer.”
5) “I’d love to eat all of those chocolates, but I’m only going to have one.”
What does Self-Control Feel Like? When self-control is practiced, a person:
1) Feels a sense of accomplishment when reaching a goal.
2) Enjoys the trust of others.
3) Feels more equipped to handle unexpected problems.
4) Makes and keeps friends easily.
Terry Fox Run – The 2015 CWAA Terry Fox Run took place on Wednesday, September 30. The sunshine, blue skies and vibrant fall colors made for a beautiful day for the run! Many parents took part in the event along with students and staff. Before the actual run started, Pastor Felix Richter shared some of his personal experiences with cancer. The fundraising goal for this event was $2000. I am thrilled to report that we far surpassed that goal. We have raised over $2980! Praise God for the generosity of the supporters and the willingness of students and parents to work to raise money for the Terry Fox Foundation. I also want to thank Katrina Anderson and the other staff and parents who helped to make this event successful.
If you or your students still have donations to turn in for the Terry Fox Foundation, please either donate online or turn in the donation money to CWAA by tomorrow (Tuesday, October 6). Thank you!
CWAA PICTURE DAY: Tuesday, October 13th is picture day at Chinook Winds Adventist Academy. Picture Portrait packages will be sent home with your child in late October and you will have the opportunity to order pictures from this package. Please open the button below for more information about Picture Day.
STUDENT ASSOCIATION SPIRIT DAY AT CWAA: Wednesday, October 21 will be a Spirit Day at school. We encourage all students to participate by dressing up … choose from one of the following themes.
1) Animal or Insects
4) Biblical Characters
CHILD PREACHER SAMUEL GREEN: Bring your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews and friends to hear 10-year-old child preacher, Samuel M. Green, present a 2-part series on “Growing in Christ”. Samuel M. Green has preached in over 200 US churches and has even been interviewed on CNN. WHERE? Bridgeland SDA Church WHEN? Friday, October 9, 2015 at 7:00 pm and Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 11:00 am. On Saturday October 10, all are invited to participate in our color theme by wearing Navy Blue, Green and White!! You do not want to miss this amazing blessing as the children lead out in ministry at Bridgeland SDA Church. Please refer to the button below to see a picture of Samuel.
SEEK AND SERVE MINISTRY: This is the second year for this ministry at CWAA, involving community outreach and participation in our local Adventist Churches. We minister to those living in nursing homes as well as serving those within our school community and being available to assist when a need arises. The third Sabbath of each month has been designated for this. The first scheduled Seek and Serve Sabbath is October 17. Grades 7 – 12 students who are interested and truly committed to serving their Lord through this ministry will meet at the school at 10 am for praise, worship and prayer. Following our worship time, we have potluck lunch and then devote the afternoon to service. Thank you for your support and prayers. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mrs. Kelloway at 403-286-5686 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CWAA IS HIRING SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: If you have a passion to educate children for Jesus and hold a valid teaching certificate please send your resume to Principal Lara Melashenko at email@example.com or fax at 403-247-1623.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES:
Oct 7-11 WWU Fall Classic (Secondary Students)
Oct 12 Thanksgiving Day (No School)
Oct 13 Picture Day
Oct 14 Grades 5/9 Immunizations
Oct 16 Grade 12 Discovery Day in Health Sciences, U of C
Oct 16-18 Junior High Flag Football Tournament, Kelowna, B.C.
Oct 17 CWAA Seek and Serve Sabbath
Oct 19 School Board Meeting, 7pm
Oct 20 Fashions Class Field Trip to Northland Mall
Oct 21 SA Spirit Day
Oct 27 Grade 10 CALM Class Field Trip to U of C
Oct 28 Grade 10 Field Trip to War Memorial / Peace Bridge
Oct 28 Grade 12 Field Trip to Gimbel Eye Surgery
Oct 30 SA Class Challenge Day
Nov 5 K – Grade 5 Field Trip to Royal Tyrrell Museum, Drumheller
Nov 10 Remembrance Day Combined Chapel, Guest Speaker Terry Afflick
Nov 13-15 Grades 7 – 9 FCA Volleyball Tournament, Edmonton
Nov 16-20 Week in Spiritual Emphasis (WISE) Alan Perez
Nov 21 CWAA Seek and Serve Sabbath
Nov 23 Grades 10 – 12 Field Trip to Rosebud Theater
Nov 23-27 Anti-Bullying Awareness Week
Nov 26 K – Grade 6 Skating at Crowfoot Twin Arena
Nov 26 – 29 Senior High Volleyball Tournament / BU Days at Burman University
“Shout with joy to the Lord, all the earth!
Worship the Lord with gladness.
Come before him, singing with joy.
Acknowledge that the Lord is God!
He made us, and we are his.
We are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
Go into his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good.
His unfailing love continues forever,
and his faithfulness continues to each generation.”
(Psalm 100 NLT)
As we approach Thanksgiving weekend, it seems appropriate to reflect on our thankfulness for God’s blessings. After all, Thanksgiving should be about more than just food and family and football! What about thanking and praising God for what He has done and is doing in our lives? Psalm 100 encourages us to acknowledge God’s goodness, love and faithfulness with attitudes like joy, gladness, singing, thanksgiving, and praise! So take a couple minutes to think about (and maybe even write out a list) the many ways that God is covering you with His goodness and love and faithfulness!
Pastor Brent Wilson