Cling to Jesus. He says, “Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me.” Difficulties will arise. You will meet with obstacles. Look constantly to Jesus. When an emergency arises, ask, Lord, what shall I do now? The harder the battle, the greater their [parents] need of help from their heavenly Father, and the more marked will be the victory gained. Patiently, lovingly, as faithful stewards.. Constantly they must pray that God will impart His grace to their children. They must cling closely to their children and to God. AH 208.
Chinook Winds Adventist Academy
CWAA STAFFING UPDATE:
- Pastor Brent going part-time & pastoral practicum student from Burman University joining CWAA – At the beginning of January, Pr. Brent will be switching to a part-time chaplaincy role to finish out the school year at CWAA. Pr. Brent will be working at the school on average about 2.5 days per week. Also during the month of January we will be welcoming a Religious Studies practicum student from Burman University, Benjamin Amoah. Benjamin will be at CWAA 1-2 days per week and two weekends per month. Benjamin will be working closely with both Marc Andrade & Pr. Wilson to provide spiritual guidance and opportunities for student growth.
- CWAA has a new Counsellor! We are thrilled to announce that Ms. Anna Goltz will be back into our school – not as a teacher, but completing a Counselling practicum at CWAA from January until June, 2018. Anna will be at CWAA 2-3 days per week. Since leaving her teaching position at CWAA in 2016, Anna has been completing a Master of Counselling degree. Anna will be offering our students the following services: one-on-one student counselling, group counselling (either with students or with families), running recess and lunch clubs (themes may include: social skills, self-esteem building, study habits, managing stress, self-care, dealing with loss, eg. death or divorce, anxiety, depression, or anything related to mental health). Anna will be working under the supervision of Registered Psychologist, Kim Bially (wife to Pr. Adam Bially, Central SDA Church Youth Pastor)!
GRADE 6 FAMILIES: Did you know that all Calgary students registered in Grade 6 receive a FREE YMCA Calgary Membership for the school year?! For more information go to https://www.ymcacalgary.org/programs-locations-and-membership/grade6
ELEMENTARY SKATING DAY: We are excited that again this year we can take the students skating on Thursday, January 11. This will be a casual dress day for all Elementary students.
PRAYING PARENTS: Praying parents will begin meeting again on Thursday, January 11, 2018. All are welcome to join this group as they share prayer together over our school. They meet at the beginning of the school day in the lobby.
SECONDARY SEMESTER 1 EXAMS: Grades 7-12 students will write midterm exams (Gr 7-9) and final exams (Gr 10-12) from Wednesday, January 24 to Monday, January 29. All exams will be cumulative (covering material from the beginning of the year). The Gr 10 -12 final exams will be weighted at 30% of the final course grade and the Gr 7-9 midterm exams will be weighted at 20% of the Semester 1 course grade. All students are encouraged to go home after their tutorials/exams to prepare for their next exam. However, students who remain at the school after tutorials (and exams) will be provided with a supervised room where they may quietly study. Gr 7-9 students must provide WRITTEN parental permission to leave school at noon. Grades 7-9 students who remain at the school are required to attend afternoon tutorials. Regular uniforms are to be worn on all exam and tutorial days except for Grade 12 students writing Diploma Exams. The button below will open an Exam schedule.JANUARY 2018 EXAM SCHEDULE
JUNIOR HIGH PARENT-TEACHER INTERVIEWS ON TUESDAY, FEB 6TH:
- January 29 Secondary End of Term 2
- February 1 Secondary Report Cards will be sent home
- February 6 Grades 7 – 9 Parent -Teacher Interviews held from 4 pm – 8 pm
Grades 7 – 9 Parents, on Tuesday, February 6th Parent-Teacher Interviews will be held. Our on-line sign-up is available to book all Interviews. You have access to this by using the button below, or using the button found on the homepage of our website cwaa.net. We look forward to seeing you here!Sign Up for CWAA Junior High Parent/Teacher Interviews
CALGARY FOOD BANK CASUAL DRESS DAY: Friday, January 26 will be a casual dress day with a donation of a non-perishable food item. Let’s see how much food we can collect for this important local charity. Thank you for your participation!
NO SCHOOL FOR GRADES LISTED ON THE FOLLOWING DATES:
- Tuesday, Jan 30 No school for Grades K-12 (Organizational Day for Teachers)
- Wednesday, Jan 31 No school for Grades 7-12 (High School Semester Break)
CWAA ANTI-BULLYING AWARENESS WEEK, February 5-9 – CWAA is proud to be participating in an Anti-Bullying Awareness Week. We are participating in this important event because we know our school (just like any other school) is not immune to bullying and we can make a difference through education and awareness. Because bullying is a community issue and not solely a school problem, we invite all community members (parents, pastors, community partners) to join us! We intend to use this week to build relationships among our students, educate our community (students and parents) about bullying behaviors and how to stop bullying, as well as engaging in acts of compassion. Some of our activities could include: “Caught You Caring Campaign”, classroom pairings to build relationships and empathy skills, Anti-Bullying Assembly, Dress Up Day and ‘Stand Up To Bullying’ Bracelets. Parents, join us in pray as we use this event to continue building a culture of respect and compassion at CWAA! Please take time to speak with your children about this important topic.
OPEN HOUSE COMING UP: On Thursday, February 15 CWAA will be hosting our annual Open House from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. We invite all current families to bring interested friends and family members to check us out! All CWAA families will be receiving five Open House Invitation Cards to give out to personal friends. Please partner with us in promoting our great school and give those Invitation Cards out. Free door prizes for all families who bring new families! Re-Registration for the 2018-2019 school year will begin at our February 15 Open House. We look forward to seeing you!
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES:
Jan 11 Praying Parents Meets 8:30 am
Jan 11 Kindergarten – Gr 6 Skating Day to Crowfoot Twin Arena, 12:45 – 2:45 pm
Jan 11 Spanish Field Trip to Salt & Pepper, Grade 10
Jan 15 School Board Meeting 7 pm
Jan 17 Nursing Home Visit to Manors of Signature Park, Grades 5 & 6
Jan 24-29 Secondary Midterm/Final Exams
Jan 29 End of Term 2 Secondary
Jan 30 Teacher’s Organizational Day, No School K- Grade 12
Jan 31 Semester Break, No School Grades 7-12
Feb 1 Semester 2 begins
Feb 1 Secondary Report Cards
Feb 5 Telus Spark Science Centre Grades 4-6
Feb 5-9 Anti-Bullying Awareness Week
Feb 6 Jr High PTI’s 4-8 pm
Feb 7 Social Studies Field Trip to Fusion Sushi, Grade 8
Feb 15 Open House 5 – 8 pm
Feb 16 Nursing Home Visit to Wentworth Manor Grade 1 & 4
Feb 16 Friend Day
Feb 16 CWAA 2018-19 Registration Begins
Feb 19 Alberta Family Day No School K- Grade 12
Feb 20 School Board Meeting 7 pm
“Jesus and his companions went to the town of Capernaum. When the Sabbath day came, he went into the synagogue and began to teach. The people were amazed at his teaching, for he taught with real authority—quite unlike the teachers of religious law. Suddenly, a man in the synagogue who was possessed by an evil spirit cried out, “Why are you interfering with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!” But Jesus reprimanded him. “Be quiet! Come out of the man,” he ordered. At that, the evil spirit screamed, threw the man into a convulsion, and then came out of him. Amazement gripped the audience, and they began to discuss what had happened. “What sort of new teaching is this?” they asked excitedly. “It has such authority! Even evil spirits obey his orders!” The news about Jesus spread quickly throughout the entire region of Galilee.” (Mark 1:21–28, NLT)
Jesus taught with authority. He also acted with authority. But it wasn’t some human authority – Jesus did the will of His Father and lived His life according to the word of God. He lived by God’s authority! The world is full of “authorities” – and they often have some good information that can be useful. But these human authorities also often disagree with each other! But we can live a life of ultimate authority by submitting our lives to God’s will and by allowing the Bible to be our guiding roadmap.
As we go through 2018, may we each live lives of authority!
Chinook Winds Adventist Academy