CWAA CHARACTER VALUE FOR FEBRUARY: During the month of February we are focusing on the character of God – FORGIVENESS. “Whoever forgives someone’s sin makes a friend.” Proverbs 17:9
GRADES 5-12 AWARDS ASSEMBLY TOMORROW, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2016: All parents are invited to come out and celebrate our academic award recipients (Principal’s List, Honors with Distinction and Honors) and student nominees for Christ-like Character, Citizenship, Personal Best, Most Improved, Athletes of the Term and Perfect Attendance Awards. Our Awards Assembly will take place during our Secondary Chapel time (9:30 – 10:20 a.m.). For those parents who are unable to attend, we will also be conducting an evening Awards Ceremony in June to recognize all students who achieved academic excellence and other areas of excellence during the 2015-2016 school year.
STUDENT ASSOCIATION VALENTINE ACTIVITIES:
1) Submit your Valentine Order for Candy Grams, Roses and Secret Messages by this Wednesday, February 10. Deliveries will be on Friday, February 12. Please find an order form by opening the button below.
2) Valentine Spirit Day is this Friday, February 12. All students are encouraged to dress in red or pink!
ALBERTA FAMILY DAY AND TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DAYS: No school for all students K – 12 next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (Feb 15, 16 & 17). Monday is our Provincial ‘Family Day’ and Tuesday-Wednesday all teachers from CWAA will attend Professional Days in Lacombe. Classes will resume for all students on Thursday, Feb 18.
CWAA OPEN HOUSE: Next week! On Thursday, February 18, CWAA will be hosting our annual Open House from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. We invite all current families to bring interested friends and family members to check us out. All CWAA families have been sent three Open House Invitation Cards to give out to personal friends. Please partner with us in promoting our great school and give those Invitation Cards out. There will be Door Prize draws for both new families and current families who accompany them. We look forward to seeing you!
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR: Will take place February 18-24 in the Lobby! Volunteers are needed to help at the cash register, assist students, decorate, and help with set-up/take down. The Book Fair will be open during the day from 8:15 am to 12:30 pm and again from 3:15 to 4:15. On the evening of Feb 18, the Book Fair will be open until 8:00 pm for the Open House. If interested in becoming a volunteer, please contact the office or email email@example.com with the dates and times you would be available.
CWAA HIRING FOR THE POSITION OF BUSINESS MANAGER: Are you seeking to use your financial and leadership skills in a dynamic, team-centered Seventh-day Adventist education environment? Do you possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills? Do you have bookkeeping, secretarial and management experience? If so, submit your resume with references to Principal Lara Melashenko at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-286-5686. The successful candidate will possess basic accounting skills and knowledge of bookkeeping procedures, be highly proficient in the use of word processing software, spreadsheet software, internet and email. Additionally, the successful candidate will hold a Diploma or Certificate from a recognized institution in Bookkeeping and Office Administration/Management (or equivalent job training and experience). Applicants must hold a valid Alberta Driver’s License, submit a Criminal Record Check and hold a CPR Certificate. Come join us on our quest to create a center of excellence at Chinook Winds Adventist Academy! Deadline for Applications: February 17, 2016.
CWAA HOSTS THREE UPCOMING PARENTING WORKSHOPS:
1) “Tools for Setting Boundaries and Connecting with your Kids?” – Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Are you looking for an informative, fun workshop that can help you develop parenting strategies to bring out the best qualities in your child? Come out to CWAA and participate in an interactive and collaborative learning experience with Christian psychologist Tara-Anne Powell (M.A., R. Psych.) For the past 10 years Tara has worked with parents and their children in Christian schools and numerous other settings. She brings a wealth of rich and varied experience in areas of relationship building, social anxiety, depression, learning disabilities (ADHD/ADD), dealing with grief or life changes, etc. Tara runs her owns private practice and through the use of humor, respect, compassion and patience, Tara provides practical guidance to parents and children. Come on out and benefit from an evening of discussion and collaborative learning with Tara-Ann Powell! All are welcome! Call Lara Melashenko (CWAA Principal) for more information.
2) “The Impact of Excessive Media Use on Adolescent Development and Social Adjustment” by Counsellor Joy Astolfi (March 10, 2016).
3) “Protecting your Children at Home on your Technology Devices” by Education Technology Specialist, Joel Melashenko (April, 2016).
PRAYING PARENTS: This group meets every Thursday morning at 8:45 a.m. in the lobby. Come join in for a time of praise and prayer.
FUNDSCRIP ORDER Please remember to support our FundScrip mission trip fundraiser. Buy gift cards at face value for the grocery stores, gas stations, clothing stores, and restaurants that you normally visit. FundScrip pays Chinook Winds a percentage of the value of the gift card. This fundraiser doesn’t cost you anything, and is a great way to help us raise money for the 2017 CWAA Mission Trip to Bolivia. Please turn your orders in to the CWAA office with cash or cheque payment by the following dates: February 9 (TOMORROW!!!), March 7 and April 15. You will receive your gift cards within about 1 week after the order date. To access the order form, go to http://missiontrip.cwaa.net/fundraising/ and click the “FundScrip Order Form” button near the bottom of the page.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES:
Feb 9 Grades 5-12 Awards Assembly 9:30 am
Feb 12 Valentine Spirit Day
Feb 15 Alberta Family Day (No School)
Feb 16-17 Teacher Professional Days (No School)
Feb 16 School Board Meeting 7 pm
Feb 18 CWAA Open House 5 – 8 pm
Feb 18-24 Scholastic Book Fair (8:15 to 12:20 & 3:15 to 4:15)
Feb 19 Grade 10 – U of C “Let’s Talk Science”
Feb 20 Seek and Serve Ministry
Feb 23 Grade 8 Japan Culture Field Trip
Feb 23 Swimming Program Grades K- 6
Feb 23 Parenting Workshop with Tara Powell 6:30 pm
Feb 25 Swimming Program Grades K – 6
Feb 29 Grades 4, 5 & 6 Telus Spark Science Centre
Mar 1 Swimming Program Grades K- 6
Mar 3 Swimming Program Grades K- 6
Mar 5 Concert Choir at Southside SDA Church
Mar 8 Swimming Program Grades K- 6
Mar 10 Swimming Program Grades K- 6
Mar 10 Parenting Workshop with Joy Astolfi
Mar 13 Pizza ‘n Pops Concert 5:00 pm
Mar 15 Elementary Report Cards sent home
Mar 17 Elementary Parent-Teacher Meetings 4 – 8 pm
Mar 19 Concert Choir at Calgary Central SDA Church
Mar 19 Seek & Serve Ministry
Mar 21 School Board Meeting 7 pm
Mar 22 CWAA Constituency Meeting 7 pm
Mar 23 Grades 4 & 5 Field Trip to Glenbow Museum
Mar 24 Last Day of Classes / Spring Break begins
This past weekend we had an overnight CWAA Staff & Family Spiritual Retreat out at Camp Kindle near Water Valley. There were as many as 29 people present for the meetings. It was a great time to spend time in a beautiful setting reflecting on spiritual matters. The theme for the retreat was The Journey – there was time to reflect on the journey of our lives in the past, where we are at on the journey in the present, areas in which God wants to help us grow in the future, and offering thanks and praise for some of God’s blessings. It is good to take some time to Be Still and communicate with God! If you would like to travel some of the journey of reflection that we had the opportunity to travel, click the button below to check out a document with some great spiritual exercises.
Pastor Brent Wilson